Wednesday, January 6, 2016

My Switch To Tresiba Insulin

Although I once tried wearing a pump- for a DAY, years ago (that's a whole other blog post for another day!)- I've always been a diabetic who prefers multiple daily injections instead.  As you know, everybody's preferences are different.  For me, it's insulin shots all the way.  I'd rather take 15 shots a day than wear a pump.  As I've said to my doctors in the past, IF my blood sugars ever get way out of control, and I can't figure out a way to wrangle them in, I'd be willing to try a pump again.  But for now... MultipleDailyIinjections.

For years I've taken one shot of Lantas daily for my long acting insulin. Then throughout the day, before I eat a meal or a snack, I take short acting insulin.  That has worked pretty well for me, except I've noticed that although Lantas supposedly can last up to 24 hours, on me it definitely doesn't.  Or at least it doesn't work nearly as well for me during the last 6 hours or so of that 24 hour duration.  I've always just compensated by taking more short acting insulin during that time, as the long acting insulin was losing it's effectiveness.

Recently, a new long-acting insulin called Tresiba became available.  My doctor told me there isn't much of a peak, if any, and it lasts beyond 24 hours.  If you're a little late taking it, or even if you go to sleep and wake up the in the middle of the night and remember, "Oh shit!!! I forgot to take my shot before bed last night!" you can take it then.  (I've said that sentence plenty of times in my life, so...Whew!) In the information I read on the Tresiba website, it says basically that you're good to go as long as you have at least 8 hours between your doses. Yay! Sounds pretty friendly and flexible to me!


Tresiba Flex Touch Pen
If I understood what my doctor said correctly, it's the first insulin with a new molecular make up put out in a super long time. That sounds exciting, right?! He said I was a perfect candidate to take Tresiba.  That is because, first of all, I'm an MDI-er.  And because I don't require a whole lot of insulin generally speaking, so it all seems to clear out of my system pretty quickly.

Tresiba Insulin
Anyway, I've been using Tresiba now for nearly a month.  And it seems to be working well.  I have more predictable insulin needs throughout the second half of my day now.  Although I was told to take the same amount of Tresiba as I was taking with the Lantus, I've actually decreased my dosage from 12 units to 9 units. This may or may not be due to the insulin change...Every now and then, I make adjustments- gradually- with my long acting insulin.

It's approved for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics that take insulin. Anybody else out there using it? As always, I'd love to hear what you think...SO, if you have anything to add to this conversation, or any questions or whatever, please say it in the comments section. Please don't be shy! You make my blog so much better by sharing what you've got to say.




25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. MDI- multiple daily injections

      rather than the pump.
      :)

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I could use Tresiba in my pump...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel- well, it's long acting insulin, so no. but if you ever want to take a little pump break, it might be a good one to try as your long acting insulin!

      Delete
  3. My daughter who is 9 has been trying it. I can not say enough good things about it. Lantus was causing large lumps at injection site, so we had to use Levemir which we had to do twice a day, because it didn't last 24 hours. The Tresiba has been amazing at keeping her level. It brings her down, almost low at meal time, we dose her Novolog, and she eats and hardly ever has an after meal spike. It is easier to sugar surf with it, and gives more flexibility . Sidenote my daughter has a dexcom, which I monitor constantly which is also wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know that kids can use it too- I wasn't sure it was approved, or if they're prescribing it for them yet.
      And I'm with you on the Dexcom. Such a life changer for me.
      Anyway, so glad to hear your daughter is doing so well. Thank you so much for adding to the discussion and for reading my blog. I really appreciate you!

      Delete
    2. Hey! I'm Lindsey! I just read your blog on Tresiba. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 12! I just got the dexcom meter and it is awesome!!!! My endocrinologist had always called me his mystery patient because I have more lows than highs! But, they just took me off my insulin pump and started me back on MDI!! They tell me to take my Tresiba in the morning and at night and take my humalog at mealtimes! But, I have had serious lows in the middle of the night! So, I stopped taking my nighttime dose! Do you know how long it takes until the Tresiba kicks in? I used to take Lantus like you, but they took me off of that and changed to Tresiba! I do have lows during the day too, but like I said, I'm not sure if it is the Tresiba or not!! Do you know how long it takes for the Tresiba to kick in? If I knew that, I might could do better as far as dosing is concerned, and knowing when I need to be eating a snack or whatever!!! Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I'm using Tresiba with Afrezza and it's amazing. Lantus/Toujeo is so unpredictable and inconsistent day-to-day. Levemir is consistent, but has a strong peak and doesn't last until the next injection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the comments I've heard and read about regarding Tresiba sound great! I'm so glad we have something new that's working for us! Thank y ou so much for you comment Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using it now, i have been using it only 1 week but i am still making adjustments... My doctor says that it lasts 2 days to adapt to your body and begin to work correctly, i hope so cos as you said i prefer 1000 injections rather than a pump

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i hope it works well for you!

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    My doctor has put me on tresiba but I am somewhat anxious cause the doses of day after day will accumulate since they say the action will take 42-48 hrs.
    Did you reduce you mealtime insulin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      I don't think you need to worry. I take mine about once every 24 hours and it's steady! My doctor said the overlap is not a concern. I don't understand how that works, but evidently, it's true! Best of luck.

      Delete
    2. I take Tresiba in the morning 16 units (Type 1) with 2000 mg of metformin - BS readings look better in evening..Anyone know how to switch and take in the evening instead of morning? or maybe it shouldnt matter if you have a steady intake of the tresiba. Anyone notice injecting in the evening is better than morning w tresiba?
      Should i skip morning dose and then just take that evening?

      Delete
  8. Hi, if it helps, my doctor assures me that it doesn't overlap even if it lasts more than 24 hrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kerri. Just read your blog on Tresiba. Just wondering, do you ever notice a fall-off in effectiveness of Tresiba when the pen is more than a couple of weeks old? I too only take 8 to 10 units so the pen tends to last 2 to 3 weeks anyway. I'm trying to research this. It seems that, when a Tresiba pen is a couple of weeks old, I have unexplained highs in the evening. Feels as though there is not much insulin left in my body, e.g. a small correction (glucose) to correct a post-evening-meal low, might lead to a massive high in the evening. I take Tresiba in the mornings on waking up. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that could definitely be. I haven't noticed that being a problem for me, but I'll post about it if it's something that does happen. I use my pen for about a month, and then get a fresh one out of my frige. Do you go longer than that? Let me know if you find out anything more about that. Thanks. Oh, and FYI, I don't post on this blog anymore... I've moved it to www.MyT1Diabetes.com Please visit, and follow that blog instead. Have a great day.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck.
    diabetes destroyer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there...nice to see your post. I started Treseba Sunday night...was on Levemir split dose but it seemed, because I take such a small amount (type 1 here), both shots would burn out and I was only getting a total of about 8 hours coverage per shot. I never was able to get a proper dose of levemir and I too tried and hated the pump (tubed or not tubed). My endo started me on 6 units but wow woke up to 265 this am with high ketones...it's coming down ..should I go straight to 8 units? My endo said wait 3 days and titrate up/down one unit..but that's really high and feel awful..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure with your endos help, you can get things adjusted in the next few days. it took me a few weeks of tweaking it to get the right dosage for the tresiba, b/c it WAS different than my previous insulin.
      can you get your blood sugar down with whatever fast acting insulin you use?

      Delete
  13. HI, I just started tresiba yesterday after being on the pump for almost 4 years. I'm a type 1 also. My BS have been pretty high though. I woke up this morning at 345! I increased my dosage by 5 after giving myself a correction. I really want this to work. Did you experience rough days in the beginning? I guess I just need to find my number and allow my body to adjust to the change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Melissa- Sorry for the delayed response. I've actually moved my blog to MyT1Diabetes.com Please bookmark that page!
      Yes- I did have to do some adjusting when I first switched to Tresiba. I'd say by about 2-3 weeks, I had it figured out pretty well. FOr me, I didn't need nearly as much Tresiba as my previous insulin. It may be different for everyone. Anyway, best of luck. Hope to see you over at the MyT1Diabetes blog! :)

      Delete
    2. Hello,

      I am on 10 units of Toujeo. How do I dose when I start Tresiba? Will I need a lower dose or can I start off safely with 10 units of Tresiba and the mealtime doses I take now without going hypo? I have a month before a work placement in the US, so only got about 3 to 4 weeks to get it sorted, I know`s not much time, but I think I can do it if I work really hard on my diabetes. Toujeo gives me horrible side effects that I can`t deal with anymore...

      Delete
  14. Hey, if you want to take it in the evening instead of morning, my suggestion would be take it 2 hours later every day until you get to night time. For example if you take it 10 am. Do 12 pm tomorrow, then 2 pm, 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm.

    ReplyDelete