Monday, December 7, 2015

My Lowest A1C EVER

Well... I got my A1c results back from last week's endocrinologist appointment.

And I'm super duper happy. 

It wasn't quite as low as the Dexcom Clarity app had predicted (although, I suspect, given a little more time- it could be!) but it was the lowest it's ever been since I was diagnosed as a Type 1 over 20 years ago.

So give me a drum roll please, because this feels like a very important announcement and a very proud moment for me....

Ready?! 

5.7%!  FIVE. POINT. SEVEN. PERCENT.


I've heard it before, and you probably have too...But it bears repeating. This A1C is really just a number.  In fact, at my last appointment, when I told my endo I was shooting for an A1C of 6% or lower, he warned me, "Don't get too caught up in your number."  First of all, everyone's disease (and body!) is different.  Secondly, it's way more important to avoid extreme high and low blood sugars than it is to have a low A1C. If I was having a bunch of lows, this number most certainly wouldn't be worth all my trouble.  Thirdly, one can become a little obsessed trying to achieve a low A1C.  (I, however, find my particular obsession pretty manageable.  My world doesn't absolutely revolve around it.)

Cheerleader #1, Lucy!
Cheerleader #2, Ricky Ricardo!
Still, I'm yelling out my number to anyone who gives a shit.  Which, come to find out, actually isn't too many people.  Lucy and Ricky, of course, were thrilled for me and gave me loads of kisses for all the hard work it took for me to achieve that 5.7.  I called my husband while he was working and although I'm sure he was happy for me, I don't think he really gets it. And I sure don't expect him to. I have just a couple of Type 1 friends that I texted with my results, even though it may have been a little braggy.  But I couldn't help myself.  I knew they would get it and feel happy for me.  Like I said, there's just not that many people to tell. 

I know this A1c is an ever-changing thing.  And although I've worked really hard to get it this low, I'm sure I had luck on my side as well.  Next time I go in for labs, who knows?  But maybe I can keep hovering around 6% for a while, now that I've proven to myself that it's possible!

I'll obviously post more (and more) very soon about little adjustments I've made that for me, have made a big difference in my blood sugar control.  As well as currently having this 5.7% A1C, I have far less problems with highs and lows than I was having in the past because of these little changes I've made.

But today... It's just a brag.  It's not every day I feel like bragging.  But holy guacamole, today I do!  So thank you for indulging me!

10 comments:

  1. Very proud of you! With or without that 5.7%. You are a wonderful person and a great role model. Looking forward to your tips on how to lower that A1c.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you kind words, Cathy. And for reading my blog! AND for leaving me a comment. I love to keep a conversation going so I really appreciate that you left me a message! Look forward to connecting again.

      Delete
  2. Clarity always predicts a lower number for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed on Clarity, you can see the estimated A1c for either 7, 14 or 30 days. So this would definitely explain why their is and should be a variation between that and the A1c draw at the endo- It would be the average over a longer duration.

      Delete
  3. This is such wonderful news! Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to your tips, as I am sure ALL T1s are interested. It is so nice to know this A1c is attainable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Well I'm so happy to share anything I've tried that has benefited me and I hope you and other T1s will kick in what's worked well for you too! I think sharing and communicating with other T1s is so vital. So I really appreciate you reading the blog and leaving your comment today! :)

      Delete
  4. how absolutely wonderful! and of course I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what you did to get that result( especially without the lows) cant wait for the update :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey @realyogi! thanks so much! yes, i promise i will share my secrets... all of them- of what worked for me! really appreciate you leaving a comment and visiting the blog! :)

      Delete
  5. Nice! My daughter was diagnosed 3/31/15 and her A1C was not measurable since it was over 15! Her last checkup she was 6.2... we were also thrilled! Look forward to hearing your tips. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, you SHOULD be thrilled. I know that took a lot of hard work to get that A1C down to such a great number. So glad to hear that. Thank you so much for reading the blog and even more for leaving your comment and adding to the conversation!

      Delete