Thursday, August 6, 2015

Trying Out a Few Diabetes Cookbooks- Stay Tuned!

When I was very first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, a few well intentioned people gave me cookbooks written specifically for diabetics.  I tried using them, but I didn't like any of them.  The recipes were not tasty, and most of them called for artificial sweeteners. 

Whenever I'm cooking dinner, I attempt to add up the various ingredient's carb counts, but I tend to ignore everything but the very obvious carbs- sugars and starches.  I don't bother to factor in how many carbs are in veggies and other fibrous foods like beans- because usually, it's not that many.  But little by little, it can add up and make a difference on my blood sugar for sure.

So, I decided to check out a couple of current diabetic cookbooks from my local library- hopefully better than those I tried 20 years ago! Since I'm checking them out from the library, if I don't like them, I've lost nothing.  If I do like them, it can only help me in my quest for tighter control.  Besides the fact that the give the carb count with each recipe, they also are most likely low carb meals. Win/Win.

Here are the 2 diabetic cook books I have checked out and get to keep for the next 3 weeks.

I really haven't even looked at them at this point- So I'm not yet recommending either one, yet.  But I'll look thru them, and try some things, and let you know what I think!  If you have any great cookbooks you like to use, please leave them in the comment section below so others can take a look! Thank you- :)

No comments:

Post a Comment