Friday, August 14, 2015

Squeak.

A couple of weeks ago, when one of my friends read on my blog that I was using the Aviva Plus Accu-Chek glucometer, she passed along her test strips she no longer needed since she had switched to a different meter. Lucky me!

On top of that, I just recieved my first 3 month supply of the test strips from my on-line pharmacy.  The day they arrived, I put them in my cabinet where I had the other boxes of test strips. I felt like I had hit the jack pot with all these boxes.

And it was a beautiful, beautiful thing.  Maybe the kind of beauty that only another diabetic can understand.  But beautiful, no less.  So I couldn't resist posting the picture below on a Dexcom group I belong to on Facebook. 

My jackpot of Accu-Chek Aviva Plus Test Strips
I wasn't bragging, or trying to make anyone jealous.  I was just happy.  But after I read some of the comments people left on that posted photo, I felt sort of guilty for my own good fortune. 

Although I think everyone that saw it did understand my excitement, I was made very aware that not everyone is so lucky.  (For the record, I'm not usually this lucky either- in the world of diabetic supplies.) I got lots of "Jealous! :)" comments.  And several "Wow"s.  One women said, "So so so jealous! We don't even get enough to make it through the month with our 4 yr old! Your stash is beautiful". 

Insurance companies can be rough.  Sometimes, they pretend to know more than we do about how many times a day we need to check our blood sugar to maintain tight control over our disease.  And now with the Dexcom, some insurance companies seem to think calibrating it 2 times a day is all the test strips they need to provide us with. 

They're totally wrong.

They should be encouraging us to check more, not less! Down the road, it will save everybody money. But it's a world of short-term thinking, unfortunately.

For now, my insurance is covering the amount of test strips my doctor and I asked them to... And I am so grateful.  And I do not take it for granted.  I know not everyone is so lucky.  And I also know I might not be this lucky next time we go through another round of insurance policy changes.

But we need to keep sharing this information with each other, and with anyone who will listen, and even with those who won't. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!  So keep on squeaking.  Squeak to your doctor! Squeak to your insurance company! Squeak on forum groups!  And keep squeaking until we all get the things we need to take care of our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment