Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Diabetes America- My Follow Up Appointment

Well, there's not a whole lot to report regarding my follow up appointment with my new endocrinologist at Diabetes America.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Those small adjustments I made since my last appointment, which I wrote about in my previous post, have started making small positive shifts in my blood sugar control.

While the diabetic educator was looking over my Dexcom graph, she was commenting on how good everything looked.  "But look at all those highs and lows!" I said.  She told me that my highs aren't really that high (around 200) and they don't stay there long.  And the lows, thanks to the Dexcom, aren't all that low either. She said there's not that much to tighten up regarding my overall blood sugar control.  But still, I would like to see a larger percentage of my day spent in my ideal blood sugar range, and I really want my A1C to get back down to the very low 6% range. And by low, I mean 6.0%. I know it can be done.

The only suggestion my doctor made for me is to lower my Lantus by one more unit, so that I'm taking 10 units before bedtime.  This, he thinks, will help my problem of the falling blood sugars during sleep.  And I concur!  I had already lowered it by a unit the last week. Now, upon his suggestion, I'll go ahead and lower it one more.

Initially, when I first made my appointment with a new doctor at Diabetes America, I was hoping to be put on one of the drugs that makes you pee out excess sugar when your blood sugar gets high. It sounded at first like such an easy and logical "fix".  But to be honest, I haven't researched it at all, and I know that all drugs have side effects.  So if I can avoid new drugs, I realize, that is best.

I told the doctor I want my next A1C  (which which will be done in 2 months) to be 6%, or very close.  He told me not to obsess about the number.  I think his exact words were, "Don't be ruled by the number." 

And I said, "Oh really?!"
He said he'd much rather me have a steady 6.5%, than a roller coaster of highs and lows of 6%. I get what he's saying, but I think I can have both- An A1C of 6%, without a lot of erratic highs and lows.  So I probably will continue to be ruled by the number.  Isn't that kind of what the game of T1 Diabetes is all about?!

Like I said, not a whole lot to report.  But little by little, I'm making strides in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment