Monday, July 20, 2015

I AM TYPE 1

When I was newly diagnosed and hospitalized with diabetes back in my early 20s, I knew absolutely nothing about the disease that would forever more, be mine. The extent of my knowledge about diabetes was largely based on what I had seen of Julia Roberts' character in Steel Magnolias.  I remember my main thought upon hearing my diagnosis was, "Oh my God!!! I'll never have babies!! And my life won't be long."

Like I said, I didn't know anything. I didn't even know there was a Type 1 and a Type 2 diabetes, and that they were actually totally different diseases.  Apparently, the nurses in the hospital weren't real clear on the facts of diabetes either.  I remember one nurse in particular saying to me, "Well, you don't look like you have diabetes! Maybe you just ate a little too much birthday cake."  I turned to my husband (who had recently had a birthday, and yes, I had been eating way too much of his cake because I was just starving-- and so thirsty!) and said, "Oh my God- Maybe she's right.  Maybe this isn't diabetes but just some weird reaction to something I've eaten.  This doctor is probably crazy."

No one in my family had ever had diabetes. I didn't really know anyone with diabetes.  And isn't Juvenile Diabetes something you get when you're a juvenile?  I was an adult in my 20s!

This was 20 years ago, and now 20 years later, there is still a lot of misunderstanding and confusion to the general public about my type of diabetes... Type 1. 

So, before we go any further along on this blog, please watch this excellent- and funny- video about the misconceptions about T1 Diabetes!


4 comments:

  1. Trixi!!! Thank you so much for saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome!! Thank you for the intro. Your story sounds so much like mine that I am excited to have a look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks denise! ;) so glad you find my blog.

      Delete